Dental implants are a popular tooth replacement option for many people—in fact, they’re arguably the best possible solution for restoring lost pearly whites. This is because of their unique placement method; by being placed directly into the patient’s jawbone, they restore lost teeth in terms of look and function. The resulting rebuilt smile is both beautiful and capable of enjoying all sorts of foods. However, did you know that it’s best to stick to a healthy diet after receiving dental implants, in order to preserve their overall integrity and promote excellent oral health moving forward? Here’s more about why.
How a Healthy Diet Benefits Dental Implants
To understand how a healthy diet benefits dental implants, you must first understand how implants heal within the mouth and fuse with the jaw. Once they’ve been surgically placed, a natural process called osseointegration occurs, and the biocompatible implant posts begin fusing with the jaw. This process takes several months and is the biggest factor that sets up the implants for success. Once it’s complete, the implant posts are able to provide a sturdy foundation for the restoration.
This means that patients receiving dental implants should prioritize accommodating osseointegration, and one way of doing this is by altering their diet to include healthy choices and reducing the number of sugary items consumed. While good oral hygiene is paramount in the ongoing fight against gum disease, which is one of the many issues that threaten osseointegration, many fail to realize the impact that a positive diet can have.
The bottom line is that a healthy, well-balanced diet can promote bone health, which is important since implants require a healthy jaw to fuse with. Other minerals present in a balanced diet, including calcium and vitamin D, can also promote bone health and density. Additionally, reducing one’s intake of sugary or starchy items can also keep advanced gum disease at bay.
Sensible Food Choices for Patients with Dental Implants
Here are just a few examples of some healthy foods that are a good source of calcium and vitamin D, both of which benefit your dental implants:
- Fatty fish like salmon, tuna, and mackerel
- Fortified milk and some types of plant-based milk
- Other dairy products like milk, cheese and yogurt
- Egg yolks
- Fortified breakfast cereals
- Leafy greens such as kale, chard, and collard greens
Likewise, foods that can boost your overall immunity also directly benefit dental implants. These include options like:
- Citrus fruits like oranges, grapefruit, and lemons—just beware of their inherent acidity.
- Berries such as blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries
- Garlic and onions
- Ginger and turmeric
- Nuts and seeds like almonds and sunflower seeds
- Oily fish like salmon and mackerel
- Green tea, which is notably helpful for assisting with inflammation
Additional Tips for Keeping Your Dental Implants Intact
While a healthy diet will certainly pay huge dividends toward keeping your dental implants in great shape, there are several other things worth considering, such as:
- Kick any bad oral habits you partake in, such as smoking, using tobacco products, excessive drinking, or biting into hard objects like fingernails or ice cubes.
- Drink plenty of water at all times; it’s the best beverage for your oral health, and by proxy, your dental implants.
- Maintain excellent oral hygiene; replacing your lost teeth with dental implants does not mean you’re replacing the need to brush and floss them!
- Continue to visit your dentist for routine preventive care and to ensure your implants remain problem-free.
Dental implants aren’t just replacement teeth; they’re a commitment to positive future oral health and happiness. That said, adjusting your diet to include smarter, healthier choices in favor of detrimental snacks and sweets will go a long way toward ensuring that if you opt for implants, they’re certain to last and look great for many years to come!
About the Practice
Here at Simply Dental of Lowell, we’re excited to bring patients and families in the Lowell, MA community an exceptional level of dental care. Our talented team excels at offering a wide range of treatments, including various restorative options like dental implants to assist patients who desire to rebuild their smiles. If you have any questions about the blog or you’d like to schedule a visit for you or a loved one, feel free to contact us online or by phone for further information or assistance. Telephone: (978) 485-2929.